Thursday, August 12, 2010

Pen to Paper - Better late than never

Well, here I am for the first time.  Typing away after giving lots of thought to writing about what 'Living in the MOMENT' means to me.  In June 2009 I received a phone call from my doctor as a result of having a yearly check up.  I was told I had Invasive Thymoma and it had spread to the right lung.


Time stopped at that MOMENT.  I felt like I was being run over time and time again.  I quickly collected my thoughts and asked if the disease was going to kill me.  My doctor took some time to respond and answered 'you must start chemotherapy immediately'.  After seeing the first Oncologist I was told I would have six months to live without treatment. 


Twelve months on ... I'm still here.  A survivor living in that MOMENT and with only one lung.  I hope you find my entries helpful.  I will share with you my learnings, the importance of using food as medicine, the importance of getting second opinions, and the importance of surrounding oneself with wonderfully loving and supportive people.




1 comment:

  1. Dearest Gigi,

    I remember our last meeting well. It was late December 2005 and we had lunch together at a Mexican restaurant in Cronulla. For a woman I've known for many years that was always full of energy and inspiration, that day was different. You seemed unusally tired and that made me worried. I couldn't spend any more time with you as I was about to leave Australia to go back to Denmark. I came "home" for 3 weeks mainly to visit my father who was dying of cancer so I didn't have much time for family and friends.

    Over the years, you have always been there for me, no matter what it concerned. You have even come to visit me twice in this far away land. I've tried to keep in contact with you as much as time differences allow but I know, it's not enough.

    Then if I remember rightly, it was about mid February when you first started to get sick. Double vision, no energy etc. I felt hopeless being so far away - I couldn't be there for you. I am sure that December was the start of it all and I am so glad you have stayed strong as the person I have always known. Through will and determination, you have survived and it makes me proud to say you are my friend.

    Love always,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete