Friday, August 20, 2010

Now What?

When you are healthy you think Cancer is far away ... but, when you are sick, suddenly the whole world wakes and as you open your eyes you note Cancer is all around you.  It's like buying a new car and suddenly everyone is driving the same style of car.  Funny that.


There is no way of sugarcoating the words 'You have Cancer. If it's not treated you may last approximately 4-6 months'.  Getting such a diagnosis threw my entire world upside down.  I wanted to climb out of my body but unable to.   I felt I had a straight-jacket on and as much as I wanted to escape I couldn't.


Having processed various diagnosis, I can say it doesn't get any easier BUT  this is not the time to curl up and go mad.  There are loads of decisions to make so the more grounded and focused you are the better.  Sure, let yourself go, cry, scream but come back to a place where you can regain some control to deal with what will lie ahead.


My top three tips for today are:


1. Give yourself time to process the diagnosis and accept the "Why Me"
2. Don't tell everyone
3. Delegate mass email duties to your husband, partner, friend.  This is a great way to communicate to the masses and you will avoid the exhaustion of telling the same story again and again

2 comments:

  1. I think this is such a wonderful idea m'love... Good for you and good for all of us who care and want to share this time with you... Add some of your lovely photos of you, special people, and special times (like the wonderful headshaving evening!!!!)... I'll look forward to more posts... xx Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jan - Will certainly be adding loads of interesting photos.

    ReplyDelete