Tuesday, September 14, 2010

What to expect from Chemo

I'm sorry its taken so long to write another blog entry.  I've taken up studies and it has taken up most of my time!

Today's entry will focus on how I reacted to chemo.  Don't forget that everyone is different! So, you may experience various other symptoms or maybe no symptoms at all.  Taking copious amounts of other drugs whilst having chemo is the norm. Namely to treat nausea and vomiting as part of chemo treatment.  One of the drugs administered for the entire 3 months was Demamethasone.  It is used to relieve inflammation in various parts of the body and decrease swelling associated with tumors.  However, be warned ... it increases the appetite, will cause irritability and insomnia.  I also experienced fluid retention and over the 3 months I put on approx 7 kilos.  It may not sound like much but standing tall at 160cm - its approximately another dress size!

I had 4 chemo cycles and felt quite average after each one.  Exhaustion was an accumulative effect and found myself sleeping more and more.  However, after the 4th or 5th day post chemo, the sky opened up again.  I began to smell the flowers, hear the breeze and the birds, crave healthier food and wanted to go out an exploring. This is probably the most important time to have family and friends pop by and prepare you lunch or dinner.  I could not imagine what it would be like being on your own.  I had very little energy to do anything but go out for short walks and rest.  So, be kind to yourself and listen to your body.

I didn't look forward to the 15-17th day post chemo.  That was when my body had reached it's peak again, while blood cell count (lymphocytes) had returned to normal thus time for another cycle.  Lymphocytes are a type of white blood cell that's responsible for protecting the body against bacterial and viral infections.  They are made in the bone marrow and when the blood cell count is low after chemo - infection is a high risk.  Make sure you stay away from anyone who has the slightest sniffle.

Next entry will focus on what I learned about the food NOT to eat and the importance of creating a cancer unfriendly environment in your body!

1 comment:


  1. It is no secret that I have a very deep and personal relationship with God. I have pushed and resisted that relationship this past year through all the bullshit I have had to go through living with Herpes but once again, God is bigger than my stubbornness and broke through that outbreak cold sore and all I had Genital Herpes. For me personally, hearing over and over how I am not good enough has really invaded my mind in the worst way possible. I completely shut down and I was just waking up like is this how life going to end this temporary herpes outbreak “fuck everybody with herpes if you know what I mean” but let's be honest here...
    It is a cowardly to say no to herbal medicine. It is fear based. And it is dishonest to what my heart wants. Don't build a wall around yourself because you are afraid of herbals made or taking a bold step especially when it's come to health issues and getting cure. So many young men/ women tell me over and over that Dr Itua is going to scam me but I give him a try to today I feel like no one will ever convince me about herbal medicine I accept Dr Itua herbal medicine because it's cure my herpes just two weeks of drinking it and i have been living for a year and months now I experience outbreak no more, You can contact him if you need his herbal medicine for any such diseases like, Herpes, Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic,Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob,Dairies,Lyme Disease,Epilepsy, ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Men/Woman infertility, bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid. disease,Lupus,Lipoid Storage diseases( Gauchers disease),Polycystic Disease.,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Cirrhosis of Liver,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic,HIV, Epilepsy, Infertility, Love Spell,. Email..drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com then what's app.+2348149277967.... My advice to any sick men/women out there is simple... Be Always an open book. Be gut wrenching honest about yourself, your situation, and what you are all about. Don't hold anything back. Holding back will get you nowhere...maybe a one way ticket to lonelyville and that is NOT somewhere you want to be. So my final truth...and I'm just starting to grasp this one..

    ReplyDelete