Thursday, December 9, 2010

Myasthenia Returns

Well, its been three months since I've written.  Lots has happened.  I returned to work, but after only 4 weeks I found my Myasthenia symptoms had returned.  I haven't had any symptoms since 2006 and not sure why the droopy eyelid and double vision are back.  I'm sure it's only temporary - I'm not worried.   There could never be anything more frightening than cancer.  I'm currently working through the Mestinon and Prednisone levels to determine the best ratio of medication that will result in me returning to full remission.

Myasthenia Gravis is an autoimmune neuromuscular disorder.  Noone in my family has ever had any illnesses ... so I'm not sure "Why me?".  The condition is characterised by varying degrees of weakness of the skeletal muscles of the body. Certain muscles such as those that control the eye and eyelid movements, facial expression, chewing and talking are effected.  The muscles that control breathing may also be effected.

It's an odd disorder and occurs when normal communication between the nerve and muscle is interrupted.  In Myasthenia, antibodies block/alter the receptors that send the message to the muscle thus the temporary weakness.

The Thymus Gland, which lies in the chest area beneath the breastbone, plays an important role in the immune system in early life.  The gland is large in infants and reduce to the size of a small pea in adulthood.  In my case, the gland was enlarged and in 2006 it was removed.   Thymomas are generally benign and I'm one of a rare few that somehow achieved to be diagnosed with both, in addition to Recurring Thymoma in the lung 3 years later.

The relationship between the Thymus Gland and Myasthenia is not yet fully understood and there is no correlation between high antibody levels and active Thymoma.  As far as I'm concerned, as long as Cancer doesn't return ... nothing is a problem.

Here are two photos.  One taken in 2006 and the other today! Dont worry - it's not as bad as it looks!


1 comment:

  1. Gigi,
    I have been following your posts regularly and information that you provide in your Blog.
    In life you are courageous, positive and passionate about 'living in the moment'
    You inspire me to do better, be better and simply live in my moment.
    Love you, Tony

    ReplyDelete