Tuesday, December 28, 2010

New Limitations

There is very little information about recovery after a pneumonectomy and the effects on the physical, social and lifestyle activities of previously healthy and active people.  I loved to run, complete demanding spin sessions at the gym and swimming a kilometre at a time was a form of meditation for me.   Would I ever be able to do that again? Did it matter?  What would my new limitations be?  Here are some hints:

Shortness of Breath: most things will be exhausting for many months.  Twelve months post surgery, I still struggle walking up the stairs but I'm improving every day
Lifting: don't do it
Daily Living: Showering and washing your hair will be a challenge for several months so ensure you have someone to help you
Sports and Fitness: I changed my spin classes to Yoga and 5 months post surgery I started swimming with a kick-board and flippers.  Initially, I could only swim 50 metres but now I can swim that very important kilometre - with kick board and flippers.  My recent attempt at freestyle lasted 50 metres ... and that is OK with me.
Epigastric Symptoms: You may feel you have something wrong in your stomach post surgery and get used to the RURR RURR sounds.  It doesn't hurt, just uncomfortable

You will begin to accept your new limitations as a result of the limited respiratory reserve.  People won't realise the significance of your limitation because outwardly .. there are no visible signs.  Be positive and accept that your new way of life will not be going away.

Modify your lifestyle in order to get the best out of it.

Day 4.  First walk without oxygen.  Loaded up with Oxycontin.
Day 5.  I asked an exercise bike be delivered to my room so I can start the transformation.
Five-Eight minute cycles at a time made an enormous difference to oxygen saturation 
Day 7.  A miracle.

Week 8.  Take as many pain killers as you need to enjoy the best thing life has to offer. The pain will go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment